- Sample Papers
- Date Sheet
Search Books for CBSE, IIT-JEE Exams
(Syllabus) Detailed Syllabus Business Studies Syllabus Class XI 2008
Detailed Syllabus Business Studies Syllabus Class XI 2008
CLASS XI Business Studies Syllabus
One Paper 3 Hours 100 Marks
Part A: Foundations of Business
1. Nature and Purpose of Business 08
2. Forms of Business Organisations 12
3. Private, Public and Global Enterprises 10
4. Business Services 08
5. Emerging Modes of Business 06
6. Social Responsibility of Business and Business Ethics 06
Part B : Corporate Organisation, Finance and Trade
7. Formation of a Company 07
8. Sources of business finance 10
9. Small Business 07
10. Internal Trade 10
11. International Business 06
12. Project Work 10
A Part: Foundations of Business (Periods 104)
Unit 1: Nature and Purpose of Business (Periods 20)
• Concept and characteristics of business
• Business, profession and employment - distinctive features
• Objectives of business - economic and social, role of profit in business
• Classification of business activities: Industry and Commerce
• Industry - types: primary, secondary, tertiary
• Commerce: Trade and Auxiliaries
• Business risks - nature and causes,
Unit 2: Forms of Business Organisations (Periods 24)
• Sole Proprietorship; Joint Hindu Family Business-meaning, features, merits and limitations;
• Partnership- meaning, types, registration, merits, limitations, types of partners;
• Cooperative Societies-types, merits and limitations
• Company: Private Ltd., Public Ltd. - merits, limitations;
• Choice of form of business organizations
• Starting a business - Basic factors.
Unit 3: Private, Public & Global Enterprises (Periods 20)
• Private Sector and Public Sector
• Forms of organising public sector enterprises
• Departmental Undertaking
• Statutory Corporation .
• Government Company
• Changing role of public sector
• Global Enterprises (Multinational Companies): meaning and features,joint venturesmeaning, benefits
Unit 4: Business Services (Periods 18)
• Nature and types of Business services - Banking, Insurance, Transportation, Ware housing, Communication.
• Banking - types of Banks, Functions of Commercial banks, E- banking
• Insurance - principles, types: life, fire and marine
• Postal and Telecom services
• Warehousing: types and functions
Unit 5: Emerging Modes of Business (Periods 10)
• E-Business - Meaning, scope and benefits, Resources required for successful e-business implementation, On-line transactions, payment mechanism, security and safety of business transactions;
• Outsourcing- concept, need and scope
Unit 6: Social Responsibility of Business and Business Ethics (Periods 12)
• Concept of social responsibility.
• Case for social responsibility;
• Responsibility towards owners, investors, employees, consumers, government, community and public in general.
• Business and environmental protection;
• Business ethics: concept and elements.
Part B: Corporate Organisation, Finance and Trade (Periods 104)
Unit 7: Formation of a Company (Periods 16)
Stages in the formation of a company;
• Incorporation, and
• Commencement of business
Unit 8: Sources of Business Finance (Periods 20)
• Nature and significance
• Owner's funds and borrowed funds
• Sources of raising Finance:
- Equity and Preference shares
- Global Depository Receipt, American Depository Receipt
- Debentures and Bonds
- Retained Profits
- Public deposits
- Loan from Financial Institutions
- Loans from commercial Banks
- Trade Credit
Unit 9: Small Business: (Periods 14)
• Small Scale Industry; Tiny Sector; cottage and rural industry; ,
• Role of small business in rural India;
• Problems of small business in India.
• Government Assistance and Special Schemes for Industries in rural, backward and hilly areas.
Unit 10: Internal Trade (Periods 20)
• Meaning and types of internal trade: wholesale and retail;
• Services of a wholesaler and a retailer
• Types of Retail Trade:
- Itinerant retailers and fixed shops.
- Departmental store, super market, malls, chain store, mail order business, consumer’s cooperative store.
- Automatic Vending Machine
• Role of Chamber of Commerce and Industry in promotion of internal trade.
Unit 11: International Business (Periods 12)
• Nature, Importance and complexities involved in International Business;
• Ways of entering into international Business. Export-Import Procedures and documentation. Foreign Trade Promotion. Organizational support and incentives;
Nature and importance of Export Processing Zone/special Economic Zone;
International Trade Institutions and Agreement: WTO, UNCTAD, World Bank, IMF.
Unit 12: Project Work
Suggestive/Illustrative Projects (Periods 22)
Any one of the following:-
(i) Find out from local sample business unit (s) the various objectives they pursue.
(ii) Problems of setting up and running business units.
(iii) Enquiry into the ethics of running business through questionnaires.
(iv) Survey of quality of bank services in the local branch office.
(v) Study of postal and courier mail services.
(vi) Availability and use of agency services, advertising, packaging, investments in savings schemes, etc.
(vii) Survey of the popularity of credit cards issued by different banks.
(viii) Study the profile of a sole trader/partnership commenting on the nature and working of business.
(ix) Study of a Joint Hindu family business.
(x) Study of the working of any cooperative society.
(xi) Study of a small business unit regarding source of finance.
(xii) Nature of different traders (like hawkers and pedlars in a specific locality) in issue of goods, capital investment, turnover.
(xiii) Study of weekly bazaar in a locality.
(xiv) Study of franchise retail store.
(xv) Study of export/import of any article.
(xvi) Problems of women entrepreneurs in business.
(xvii) Waste/garbage disposal
(xviii) Study of pavement trade.
(xix) Prepare a scrapbook and collect articles on the changing role of public sector and any other topics related to the syllabus.
Marks may be suitably distributed over the different parts of the Project Report-
- Objectives 2. Methodology 3. Conclusions - findings and suggestions
Courtesy : CBSE.NIC.IN