(Syllabus) CBSE: National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET)
The Medical Council of India (MCI) recommended the following
syllabus for National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for admission to MBBS/BDS
courses across the country (NEET-UG) after review of various State syllabi as
well as those prepared by CBSE, NCERT and COBSE. This is to establish a
uniformity across the country keeping in view the relevance of different areas
in Medical Education.
CONTENTS CLASS XI SYLLABUS
UNIT I: Physical World and Measurement
- Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics,
technology and society.
- Need for measurement: Units of measurement; systems of units; SI units,
fundamental and derived units. Length, mass and time measurements; accuracy
and precision of measuring instruments; errors in measurement; significant
- Dimensions of physical quantities, dimensional analysis and its
UNIT II: Kinematics
Frame of reference, Motion in a straight line;
Position-time graph, speed and velocity. Uniform and non-uniform motion,
average speed and instantaneous velocity. Uniformly accelerated motion,
velocity-time and position-time graphs, for uniformly accelerated motion
Elementary concepts of differentiation and integration
for describing motion. Scalar and vector quantities: Position and
displacement vectors, general vectors, general vectors and notation,
equality of vectors, multiplication of vectors by a real number; addition
and subtraction of vectors. Relative velocity.
Unit vectors. Resolution of a vector in a
Scalar and Vector products of Vectors. Motion in a plane.
Cases of uniform velocity and uniform acceleration- projectile motion.
Uniform circular motion.
UNIT III: Laws of Motion
- Intuitive concept of force. Inertia, Newton’s first law of motion;
momentum and Newton’s second law of motion; impulse; Newton’s third law of
motion. Law of conservation of linear momentum and its applications.
- Equilibrium of concurrent forces. Static and Kinetic friction, laws of
friction, rolling friction, lubrication.
- Dynamics of uniform circular motion. Centripetal force, examples of
circular motion (vehicle on level circular road, vehicle on banked road).
UNIT IV: Work, Energy and Power
- Work done by a constant force and variable force; kinetic energy,
work-energy theorem, power.
- Notion of potential energy, potential energy of a spring, conservative
forces; conservation of mechanical energy (kinetic and potential energies);
non-conservative forces; motion in a vertical circle, elastic and inelastic
collisions in one and two dimensions.
UNIT V: Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body
- Centre of mass of a two-particle system, momentum conservation and
centre of mass motion. Centre of mass of a rigid body; centre of mass of
- Moment of a force,-torque, angular momentum, conservation of angular
momentum with some examples.
- Equilibrium of rigid bodies, rigid body rotation and equation of
rotational motion, comparison of linear and rotational motions; moment of
inertia, radius of gyration. Values of M.I. for simple geometrical objects
(no derivation). Statement of parallel and perpendicular axes theorems and