National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) | Class Xth Sample Paper - Business Studies
Senior Secondary Course (Paper)
Subject: Business Studies
Maximum Marks: 100
Time: 3 hrs.
1. Weightage by Objectives
||% of total mark
2. Weightage by types of Questions
|Types of Question
||No. of Question
||Estimated time a candidate is expected to take
|Multiple Choice Question
|Very Short Answer
3. Weightage by Contents
|1. Business Environment
|2. Structure of Business Organisation
|3. Service Sector and Business
|4. Banking and Insurance
|5. Selling and Distribution
|6. Consumer Awareness
|7. Career Opportunities in Business
* 10 minutes for reading the Question Paper and revision of Answers.
Sample Question Paper
Time: Three Hours
Max. Marks: 100
Answer all the questions.
1) Prevention and control of environmental pollution is a /an:
A. Economic objective of business.
B. Social objective of business.
C. National objective of business.
D. Human objective of business. 1
2) Which of the following is not a feature of business?
A. Exchange of goods and service.
B. Exchange on a regular basis.
C. Risk and uncertainties.
D. Work for others. 1
3) The maximum number of members in case of a private limited company is
D. Not fixed. 1
4) Consumers Co-operative Societies are formed to
A. Provide housing facilities to the members.
B. Facilitate marketing of goods.
C. Protect the interest of the consumers.
D. Provide financial support to the members. 1
5) Post restante letters are generally retained in the post office for a period of :
A. 7 days.
B. 10 days.
C. 14 days.
D. 30 days. 1
6) Which of the following amount cannot be deposited in a public provident fund account?
A. Rs 500/-.
B. Rs. 600/-.
C. Rs. 700/-.
D. Rs. 750/-. 1
7) The shops which are owned by the same proprietor and located in different parts of the city or country are known as:
A. Departmental store.
B. Super bazar.
C. Multiple shops.
D. Mail order business. 1
8) Which of the following is not an advantage of mail order business?
A. It required less capital.
B. There is no risk of bad debts.
C. It is not suitable for illiterates.
D. Home delivery of goods is possible. 1
9) What happens if you affixed postal stamp of Rs. 7/- on an envelop instead of Rs. 5/- and
dropped it in the letter-box?
A. The envelop will be retuned to the sender.
B. The envelop will be delivered to the receiver.
C. The postman will charge penalty from the receiver.
D. The postman will not charge any penalty from the receiver. 1
10) Why should business be socially responsible? Give any two reasons. 3
11) Give any two differences between ordinary post and registered post. 3
12) What is meant by ‘Bank overdraft’? 3
13) What purpose does ‘Promissory Note’ serve? 3
14) “Life insurance involves protection as well as investment”. Do you agree with this statement?
Give reason in support of your answer. 3
15) State any two advantages of Departmental store. 3
16) What is meant by Sales Promotion? Give your answer in about 30 words. 3
17) You have a very limited time to buy all the goods for the marriage of your sister. Suggest any three retail trading organisation from where you can buy goods immediately in order to save your time. 3
18) State any three rights of consumers as recognised by consumer protection Act. 3
19) Name any three food items on the packet of which FPO mark is found. 3
20) “One must ask for a cash memo from the seller while buying a television”. Do you agree? Why? 3
21) Explain about transport and warehousing as auxiliaries to trade. 5
22) State the meaning of “Complaint letter”. Give any two situation in which a Complaint letter is written by the buyer. 5
23) “The only function of post offices is to collect, sort and deliver mails”. Do you agree? Give any two reasons in support of your answer. 5
24) What is meant by Bill of Exchange. Give any two points of distinction between a Bill of Exchange and a Promissory Note. 5
25) An organisation produces toothpaste. Which media should it choose for advertising the product and why? State any two reasons. 5
26) Give the meaning of ‘Entrepreneurship’. State any two functions of an entrepreneur. 5
27) What is meant by business? How does it differ form employment? 7
28) Give the meaning of “Sole Proprietorship”. State any five advantages of Sole Proprietorship form of business organization. 7
29) Describe the procedure for redressal of Consumer grievances in a consumer court. 7
30) What is meant by self-employment? Explain any five points of importance of self-employment. 7
||Expected Value points
10) Any two of the following with brief statement.
a) Public Image
b) Government Regulation
c) Survival and Growth
d) Employees Satisfaction
e) Consumer Awareness 1½ x 2 = 3
11) (Any two):
Ordinary Post Registered post
a. Requires less postage. Requires more postage.
b. No proof that letter has been Proof is always there.
delivered to addressee.
c. No proof of sending the letter Proof of sending is always there.
(except certificate of posting). 1½ x 2 = 3
12) It is a facility available to the current accountholder of a bank by availing of which, a
customer can withdraw more money than the balance available in his/her account. 3
13) Promissory note helps the drawer to pay the amount which is due upon him at a latter
date to the payee or to bearer of the promissory note. 3
14) Yes, life insurance involves protection as well as investment. 1
Reason – the whole amount of the policy becomes payable either on the death or
upon the expiry of stipulated period, which is earlier. 2 3
15) Any two of the followings with brief statement:
a) convenience of shopping
b) wide choice of product
c) economies of large-scale purchase and sale
d) mutual advertisement
e) efficient management. 1½ x 2= 3
16) Sales promotion consists of all promotional activities other than advertising and
personal selling to increase sales of a particular commodity. it is a short term
arrangement to increase the sales. 3
17) Any three of the following:
b) Internet shopping
c) Departmental store
d) Super bazar 1 x 3= 3
18) Any three of the following with brief statement.
a) Right to safety
b) Right to be informed
c) Right to choose
d) Right to be heard
e) Right to seek redressal
f) Right to consumer education 1 x 3= 3
19) Any three of the following:
b) Soft drinks
(any other correct food item) 1 x 3= 3
20) Yes. 1
Because, cash memo serves as a proof of purchase and the seller can be held
responsible for any defect in the goods. It is also necessary to avail of after sales
service. 2 3
21) Transport helps trade by removing the hindrance of place. Large scale production
generally takes place at certain places and consumed in different cities, towns and
localities. It is with the help of transport that goods are made available at the place
they are demanded.
Warehousing supports trade by removing the hindrance of time. It helps large-scale
storage of goods for the period till they are demanded, and for such time as the traders
decide to hold the goods. 2½ + 2½ 5
22) The letter which draws the attention of supplier or any other party on account of
supply of defective of damaged goods in transit or supplied is called letter of
Any two of the following situations:
a. Delay in receipt of goods.
b. Receipt of wrong goods.
c. Receipt of defective goods.
d. Receipt of incorrect quantity of goods.
e. Receipt of damaged goods. 1½ x 2 5
23) No, 1
Apart form collection, sorting and delivering the mails, post offices render the following
services (Any two with brief statement):
a) Transfer or remittance of money (remittance service).
b) Promotion of savings and investment (Banking service).
c) Providing insurance service.
d) Facilitate business transaction. 2 x 2 5
24) A Bill of exchange is an instrument in writing containing an unconditional order, signed
by the maker, directing a certain person to pay a certain sum of money only to or to
the order of a person, or to the bearer of the instrument. 2
Bill of Exchange Promissory Note
a. It contains an unconditional order. a. It contains an unconditional promise.
b. There are three parties- the drawer . b. There are two parties – the drawers,
drawee and payee. and payee
c. It is drawn by the creditor. c. It is drawn by the debtor.
d. Acceptance by the drawee is required. d. Acceptance is not required.
(Any two) 1½ x 2 5
25) Television advertising is the best. 1
Reasons (any two with brief statement)
a) It provides opportunity to view, listen and understand the use of product.
b) It has a log lasting impact on the minds of the prospective buyers.
c) Wider coverage. 2 x 2 5
26) Entrepreneurship is a process of identifying, developing and bringing new
ideas into reality. 1
Function of an entrepreneur (Brief statement of any two):
a) Identifying entrepreneurial opportunity
b) Turning ideas into action
c) Feasibility study
e) Setting up of the enterprise
f) Running the enterprise
g) Growth and development 2x 2 5
27) Business is an economic activity which involves regular production and sale of goods
and services with the objectives of earning profit. 2
Basis of difference Business Employment
a. Reward Profit Salary/wage
b. Nature of work Production or purchase Personalised service
and sale of goods and
c. Amount of income Uncertain Certain or fixed
d. Time/working hours No fixed working hours Fixed working hours
e. Employer Does not exist Always exist.
1 x5 7
28) A type of ownership of business in which a single individual owns, manages and
controls all the activities of business. 2
Advantages: (Any five with brief statement):
a) Easy to form and wind up
b) Direct motivation
c) Quick decision and prompt action
d) Better control
e) Maintenance of business secrets
f) Close personal relation
g) Flexibility in operation 1 x 5 7
29) A consumer may file his/her complaint directly or through his authorised agent or person.
The consumer can also lodge the complaint through post. There is no need to give any court
fee for this purpose. Five copies of the complaint are generally required to be filed with the
a) Name, description and address of the complaint.
b) Name description and address of the opposite party or parties.
c) Fact relating to the complaint and when and where it arose.
d) Documents, if any, in support of the allegations contained in the complaint.
e) The nature of relief which the complaint is seeking. 4
The complaint must be signed by the complaint or his/her agent. A complaint is required
to be filed within a period of 2 years from the date of which the cause of action arose. All
complaints are expected to be decided within three months from the notice received by the
opposite parties. For those complaints which requires laboratory testing of the products the
period is extended to 5 months. 3 7
30) Self-employment is a career in which an individual engages in some economic
activities on his own to earn the livelihood. 2
Any five of the following with brief explanation:
a) Advantage of small business
b) Preference over wage employment
c) Developing the spirit of entrepreneurship
d) Promotion of individualised service
e) Scope for creativity
f) Reduce the problem of unemployment. 1 x5 7